Home About Chat
Gastronomic Encounters: A Journey To Obesity.



Rawr
Kyoto @ Wednesday, 29 October 2014

Getting from Osaka to Kyoto was super easy - we caught a normal train from Osaka that was bound for Kyoto! Only ¥560 for one way, and you can pay this with Suica/ Passmo card. It takes 30 minutes to travel via train to Kyoto, otherwise you can also catch the shinkansen but I think that only halves the time to 15 minutes, which I didn't feel was worth the ¥3000 one way.

Once we got to Kyoto, we purchased a Kyoto one day transport pass (bus+subway). In hindsight, we probably didn't need subway as Kyoto doesn't have many subway lines in comparison to the other cities (only 2!). A bus only pass is more than sufficient.

We only stayed in Kyoto for one day due to our tight itinerary, so although the one day pass suited us, I'm not exactly sure what you would get if you're staying there a couple of days. I did notice that on Kyoto buses you can't use Suica/ Passmo cards, you have to pay exact fare in coins every time which could potentially get annoying.

Luckily it was a weekday when we went to Kyoto so there were less people at the shrines we visited. Due to our very short stay in Kyoto, we decided to visit one area which included the Golden Shrine and also Fushimi Iniri shrine.

It costs ~¥8-10 for entry to each shrine, except Fushimi Iniri.

The sun was starting to go down by the time we got to Fushimi Iniri, but we decided to still go ahead with visiting it. fushimi Iniri is famous for its multiple tori gates, and as we were walking through them it was getting darker and I seriously felt like I was stepping into Spirited Away and spirits were going to just appear suddenly!

I had forgotten to charge the portable wifi that day, so we ran out of net way before the end of the day. Was thinking about eating in Gion that night but without a portable wifi we weren't really sure where to eat. Ended up going back to Osaka to eat.

Wanted to eat at an all you can eat yakiniku restaurant in Namba, but they were booked out until 11 so we had to go elsewhere to eat. Ended up at some random Korean/ jap fusion sort of restaurant where they served nabe that had kimchee in it. Average food there. Probably wouldn't go again...


▲ Whoosh! Back to the top! | comment | 0 comment(s)